- Produce that is in-season has the most dense nutritional value.
- Eating with the flow of the seasons encourages variety in food choices which ensures balanced nutrition.
- When you buy local and in-season you stimulate the economy in your community.
- Produce that is in-season is more affordable, allowing you to save some cash.
- When you buy local and in-season you reduce your carbon footprint. You do your part to not contribute to pollution caused by shipping, packaging and storage.
Friday, January 8, 2010
Savoring the Season - Feast on Winter's Offerings
When thinking of winter, an image of harvest doesn't necessarily come to mind, but there are plenty of seasonal delights to savor this time of year. Sample the fresh produce that winter has on offer. Decorate your home with seasonal blooms. Flowing with the cycles of the seasons puts us in direct contact with our own internal rhythms. It also allows us to merge with the dance of life and live in a way that is kind to our bodies, our local farmers and the planet. Eating in harmony with the seasons has numerous benefits...
Vegetables In-Season December - January - February:
Fruits In-Season December - January - February:
Fresh Seasonal Blooms December - January - February:
Casa Blanca lily
Queen Anne's lace