Thursday, December 10, 2009

Shannon's Self-Care Pledge

Photobucket

From this moment forward I am dedicating myself to my personal mission of starting a self-love revolution. I have taken a brazen step in this direction by surrendering all goals of changing the physical appearance of my body. I choose instead to embrace my present figure with all its soft padding, fleshly curves and abundance. By doing so, I am not throwing in the towel but moving into my power by reclaiming the sacredness of my body. My health and well-being are not dependent on my body size. I know that 'Health at Every Size' is a reality and I claim this gift for myself now.

I have taken the, "Live Well Pledge" from, "Health at Every Size", By, Linda Bacon, PhD. By signing this contract of intention I commit to the following practice each and every day of my life...
  • Today, I will try to feed myself when I am hungry.
  • Today, I will try to be attentive to how foods taste and make me feel.
  • Today, I will choose foods that I like and that make me feel good.
  • Today, I will try to honor my body's signals of fullness.
  • Today, I will try to find an enjoyable way to move my body.
  • Today, I will try to look kindly at my body and to treat it with love and respect.
By surrendering the aesthetic goal I move to a deeper level of my healing experience. I sink into the sensation of connecting with the feeling and allow my body to teach me through loving kindness what it needs to thrive. From this space, I choose to eat whole foods, exercise in pleasurable ways and make my self-care a priority, not in the hopes of being a smaller size but because it feels good. I claim physical, mental, emotional and spiritual well-being in this moment. This state of wellness is my birthright and not dependent on my weight, shape, the size dress I wear, or whether or not I measure up to society's idea of what is beautiful.

I reclaim my beauty in its plentifulness and my value as a woman who has more to offer the world than her physical appearance. I am more than a body. I am a being. Like a cornucopia overflowing with the bounty of the harvest, so is my feminine form. By embracing my present body I awaken my receptivity to the healing energy seeking to find me. My path to wholeness opens before me as I move surely toward this sacred space now.

4 comments:

  1. Wow. What an inspirational post. I'm honored that you are using my words to support your journey. That Pledge came from my book, Health at Every Size (www.HAESbook.com), which I wrote to show everyone about the scientific support for HAES and give advice to guide them on their journey. (The advice was tested in a scientific research study which showed phenomenal results.) People can download the pledge and other free resources from the book's website. Also, there is a HAES pledge you can take and show your commitment to HAES publicly at www.HAESCommunity.org. There are also plenty of (free) resources on that site for people to learn about HAES and make connections with others.
    Wishing you all the best. Will look forward to reading about your ongoing journey.
    Linda Bacon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Linda! Thank you so much for the comment you left me and your words of support. Your book is phenomenal! I just read it and it blew my mind... took everything I thought I knew about my body and turned it completely upside down. It left me with such a sense of ownership for my body and a profound sense of peace. Thank you so much for doing this very important work in the world. I am going to include your link in our sidebar of resources. I planned on publicly signing your pledge and encourage everyone to take that bold step of self-care in their lives today. Again, thank you. It was quite a treat to see your comment today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great post, Shannon. I am with you 100% and support this important shift in the way you’re thinking about this.

    And I am also tickled that you found our site, Linda! Your book has inspired me as well and I want to thank you for your hard work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a good post. I'm going to print this off and put them on my fridge.

    ReplyDelete